Sunday, March 15, 2009

Seven Weeks, Twelve Days, Five Years

About seven weeks after giving birth to my son, I became pregnant again. Yes, you read that correctly...seven weeks. Granted, I didnt know (or chose to accept) that I was pregnant till about two months after that, but it's hard to ignore the math when your second child is due the day after your firstborn's first birthday. To say that we were surprised would be the understatement of the year. I was too scared to even tell my parents till I was almost six months along. They just thought I was still carrying around those extra baby pounds. HA! Little did they know.

It was a tumultous, scary time for us. Darrell and I were still navigating the path of being new parents to our son, Jaxen. We were still trying to figure out how we fit into the roles of "mom" and "dad" and how it affected us as a couple. Let me rephrase: we were scared shitless. The thought of more diapers, more formula, more dr.'s appointments, more clothes was beyond overwhelming. Not only were we concerned about the financial aspects of having another child, I would look at Jaxen and just wonder how in the world I could EVER love someone else as much as I loved him. I just knew that I was going to be a horrible parent to our second child...the level of intimacy between Jaxen and I had already been established. How could I possibly have this bond with someone else?

And then we had the ultrasound. When the technician told us we were having a girl, I had the pleasure of watching my dear husband turn shades of green that I have never even seen before. Talk about classic.:)

March 15, 2004, Jalyn Elizabeth entered the world.... a mere twelve days before her brother's first birthday, creating a twelve day time period every year where my two kids are actually the same age. Right now, both my children are five. At least until Jaxen's birthday on the 27th.

And regarding my fears that I could never have a place in my heart big enough for two kids... well, I was totally wrong, of course. Jalyn's sweet little smile and laid back demeanor stole my heart right away. How could you not love a face like this?

Photobucket

Happy Happy Birthday, sweet baby girl. I love you bunches!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, you are a trooper! The same thing happened to my friend, got pregnant right away after their first. It was tough.

Mine are 2 years apart but I still wondered the same thing, how could I possibly love another child as much as my first? Of course, I do! Isn't it funny how they're so different?!

Your daughter is beautiful!

Jessican said...

She is precious. You seem such a great and cool mom. I hope that I can have the kind of life you do with the great kids you have whenever we decide to have a little one.

Happy Birthday, Jalyn!

2 kids...3 martinis said...

Wow! You are one brave and amazing woman/momma! I love the photo too...how'd ya do it? Such a sweet face...
How you feeling today?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments:) We just had the requisite cake & ice cream. Talk about sugar overload.

Kathy: On Photobucket, they have an option in their editing tools called "Old Fashioned". That's what I used for that one. I'm feeling okay... but my face is significantly more swollen today and seems to be getting worse, which is concerning me:( I'm not kidding when I say I look like a monkey. Curious George and I have got a real resemblance going on! Hope you guys enjoyed your Spring Break. What all did you do?

HeatherPride said...

Oh my goodness!!! That is quite a story! The mere fact that you were willing and able to get "back in the saddle" at seven weeks after giving birth is a huge feat all in itself! I was still trying to play the "not tonight, honey, I just had a baby" card 6 months after the fact! Jalyn is ADORABLE and I think it's so cool that you have two five year olds!

Anonymous said...

awww so precious! WOW! I couldn't even think about making a baby at seven weeks!

How cool that they are so close though!

Many birthday wishes to your sweet (and cute) daughter!

Peggy said...

Oh my goodness Jessica, she is gorgeous!

Irish twins! That is so cool! I know it was probably tough in the beginning but you work it out right? :) I would have loved to have my kids closer together (they are all 2.5 years apart) but it just didn't happen that way!

Happy Birthday to you precious little girl!

Kat said...

Happy Birthday precious girl!