(Disclaimer #1: This is a very self-involved blog, so please proceed with caution.)
I've been saying for YEARS that I want to cut off my hair, but now, I think the time has finally arrived. This may not seem like a monumental decision to anyone else, but let me tell you a few things about my hair and the thoughts going through my blonde-tressed brain.
1. I have not had any type of short hair do since ... oh say... 1997. And I hated it. I fought with it every single day. I have Patty Duke hair. You know what I'm talking about, right?? The hair that does a little flip at the bottom the shorter it gets. But, my hair has changed drastically since having children, and to be honest, I just really don't have time in my life to worry about it if my hair does flip when it's shorter. My daily battles with the Duke-Do were also long before I discovered the joy of a flat-iron, so I think I could tackle the problem these days.
2. At my bachelorette party, my bff Heather composed a really fun questionairre for all guests to complete to see how much they knew about me. One question was "What is Jessica's favorite feature on herself?". The point of this little game was for all my guests to tell me what THEY thought my answer would be, and then I would tell me what the answer actually was. I didn't keep an exact count, but I think it is a fair estimate to say that at least 75% of the girls said that my hair was my best feature. Apparently, everyone else loves my hair WAY more than I do.
3. (DISCLAIMER #2: DAD... DO NOT READ THIS PORTION) I have this thing about long hair being sexy. I've always thought that during love-making, there was nothing hotter than flipping the hair back and it cascading down the middle of my back. As true as that may have felt at the time, let me tell you straight up than when we do make love these days, I certainly don't have my hair down. It gets caught in all sorts of uncomfortable situations and/or body parts, so it's piled on top of my head anyway.
4. I know rationally that the difference between long and short hair is this: Long Hair= can get away with air drying for work, but Short Hair= must fix. I think I'm ready to tackle this though, simply because the less hair I have, the less amount of time it will take to dry it. And THAT is the sole reason I don't flat-iron my hair every morning. It takes too stinkin' long to dry before doing so.
5. I'm married. And my poor husband has been looking at my hair piled on top of my head (as soon as I walk in the door, that's where it goes) for 7 years now. Maybe it's time to shake things up and give him something else to look at.
There you have it. The randomness that is me. This inward discussion is a prime example of why it takes me so long to make decisions at times. I have to fight with the "young" me and the "getting older" me. And for some reason... cutting off my hair is striking me as an "older" thing to do. I know it's just hair. I know it will grow back if I hate it. I just need to work up the courage to walk into the hair salon, face Jessica (yes, my hair girl's name is Jessica:)), and say it once again- It's Time. She's been witnessing my battle with this decision for so long now... I'm sure she'll know what I'm talking about:)
So get ready for a chocolate brown with red highlights stacked bob Jess headed your way in the future. If only I can get my mid-back long ashey blonde with dark brown underneath self to stick to my guns.